Those on Medicare can get the following preventive services.
- One time "Welcome to Medicare" Preventive Visit within the first 12 months you have Medicare Part B.
- Yearly "Wellness" Visit - get this visit 12 months after your "Welcome to Medicare" preventive visit or 12 months after your Part B effective date.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening
- Bone Mass Measurement (Bone Density Test)
- Cardiovascular Screenings (cholesterol, lipids, triglycerides)
- Colorectal Cancer Screenings
- Diabetes Screening
- Diabetes Self-management Training
- Flu Shot
- Glaucoma Test
- Hepatitis B Shot
- HIV Screening
- Mammogram (screening for breast cancer)
- Medical Nutrition Therapy Services
- Pap Test and Pelvic Exam (includes a breast exam)
- Pneumococcal Shot
- Prostate Cancer Screenings
- Smoking Cessation (counseling to stop smoking)
Your "Medicare & You" Handbook has more information about these preventive services, including costs and conditions that may apply. Visit
Source: CMS Product No. 11420
Revised May 2011