Saturday, March 16, 2019

The Steelworkers Oldtimer

I retired at the age of 55 and felt pretty darned young. The magazine produced by the United Steelworkers of America for their retirees in 1998 was titled "The Steelworkers Oldtimer". I can recall taking objection to the name of this magazine as it made me feel older than I was. A few years later, the name of the magazine was changed to "SOAR in Action".

Today, I ran across one of these "Oldtimer" magazines which brought back that memory which made me laugh. I told my wife that I wouldn't mind if they changed the name of the magazine back to the old name. She replied, "retirees don't have enough time these days to read a magazine with 24 pages.

Growing older definitely means change, that's for sure. Not only does it require accepting the things you're unable to change but it also requires a sense of humor.

Here's the cover page of one of those "Oldtimer" magazines.


No comments:

Splice the Main Brace

Splice The Main Brace A sailing ship's main brace is a rope attached to its main spar. Splicing it (making a connection in it by interw...