Saturday, April 20, 2019

Frank Lumpkin receiving the Pioneer Award

Frank Lumpkin, USWA Founder

I’ll never forget the day (several years ago), when, after meeting with the SOAR Chapter that used to meet in the old local 65 hall in Chicago, I noticed the sign on the door of Frank Lumpkin’s SOJ (Save Our Jobs Committee).  I had to scratch my head trying to figure out why two retirees organizations were meeting separately, right down the hall from each other, while sharing the same building. 
After meeting Bea Lumpkin and Frank Lumpkin at an Alliance for Retired Americans Conference in Washington, D.C. and reading her book, “Always bring a crowd”, I realized that Frank Lumpkin was a Steelworker Pioneer and a Founder of our United Steelworkers of America Union.

This photo is of Frank being awarded the USWA Union Pioneer Award. What a privilege it was for me to present it. Later, the Save Our Jobs Committee merged with the SOAR chapter.


No comments:

Splice the Main Brace

Splice The Main Brace A sailing ship's main brace is a rope attached to its main spar. Splicing it (making a connection in it by interw...