Thursday, August 29, 2019

Pasty Hits the Spot

About once a year, I get to hankering for some Pasty. My Grandmother used to make Pasty and serve it to a whole bunch of family members. Hers was the size of a big loaf of bread or a big meatloaf.

I can’t remember my Mother ever making Pasty but when vacationing up in Northern Michigan, Elaine and I stop now and then to sample the Pasty at various places.

With the wonderful Indiana garden crops this year we just haven’t been able to find the time necessary to travel to Northern Michigan so Elaine decided to make some for me. I always understood that Pasty originated in Cornwall England where the coal and lead miners would take them into the mines for lunch. The Pasty had thick crust on the edge so they the miners could just pitch the remains away so to keep their fingers away from their mouths.


Elaine just made some a couple days ago and here is a photo of just a few. The rest have found their way to the freezer. For me, they are best made with rutabaga rather than turnips. For those interested in trying some, well you’ll just have to search for your own recipe.

No comments:

Splice the Main Brace

Splice The Main Brace A sailing ship's main brace is a rope attached to its main spar. Splicing it (making a connection in it by interw...