Friday, November 16, 2007

Taking Back Our Economy-Part 1: It's All Tied to Economics

  • “Every time we’re at the bargaining table, the company tries to take away more and more of our healthcare benefits.”
  • “All around my state, factories and plants are shutting down and moving out of the country. I’m worried for my job."
  • “There are frightening warnings everywhere about global warming, but I don’t see any action being taken.”
  • “Last week I found out that my daughter’s toys are filled with lead paint. I’m angry, and I’m worried for her. If a Chinese company thinks this is acceptable, how does that same company treat their workers?”
  • “Prices for everything seem to keep rising and rising, but why isn’t my paycheck keeping up?”
  • “I’m doing better than my parents did, but I doubt that my children will be better off than me.”

Why? It’s all tied to economics..

Economics is simply about the choices that are made:
How do we allocate resources? How do we produce things?
And, very importantly, who benefits? It matters who makes those decisions. As the
statements above suggest, the current choices are not benefiting workers.

Source: USW Rapid Response

No comments:

Splice the Main Brace

Splice The Main Brace A sailing ship's main brace is a rope attached to its main spar. Splicing it (making a connection in it by interw...