Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Past Snow Storms

The biggest snow storm that I can remember was in January 1967. We were living on Polk Street in Gary, across from Indiana University. I think it was on Thursday that I drove to work in Hammond at the NIPSCO gas meter shop.


It began to snow that afternoon and the wind was really blowing hard. We all left work early so we would be able to get home but the weather was just too bad so I stayed the night at a friends house in Highland, Indiana.


The following morning proved to be impossible to drive, so rather than stay a whole week end away from home, I decided to try to walk home.


I walked all the way from Highland, down route six to Glen Park. It was about six or eight miles. Many cars were stranded along the way but not a single car or snow plow was seen.


Gas stations along the way were full of people.


I'll never forget arriving home. What an experience it was.

Splice the Main Brace

Splice The Main Brace A sailing ship's main brace is a rope attached to its main spar. Splicing it (making a connection in it by interw...