Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Retirement for Some, is gardening

Since retirement, gardening has been a big part of my daily enjoyment. In the garden, I can truly get away from it all....and some of us need to do that once in awhile.

Even in retirement, a person's day is chuck full of things to do. Some important in trying to make the lives of others better. Some, just everyday home maintenance and maintaining family harmony. But we also need some time for ourselves. That's where gardening comes in. A way to disappear. A way to escape from all those other pressures in life.

The year has started off pretty good here in Northern Indiana for gardeners. Plenty of rain and sunshine and heat. Everything is growing nicely. Grapes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, raspberries, potatoes, peas, beans, summer and winter squash, onions, herbs and lettuce, Gooseberries and cherries and peaches.

It's always fun to go out each morning and see the progress over night.

I hope every retiree has an equally valuable way to "getaway" without leaving home.

Here, I have to have my garden fenced in to keep out the deer, possum, raccoons, ground hogs and turkeys. I wish I didn't need a fence, but it's a necessity.

I wish everyone could learn to enjoy a garden as I do.

Splice the Main Brace

Splice The Main Brace A sailing ship's main brace is a rope attached to its main spar. Splicing it (making a connection in it by interw...