Skip to main content

No More Love Letters In Indiana?

After high school, I went into the U.S. Navy for four years. While in the South Pacific, my high school sweet heart and now wife of 46 years and I wrote back and forth making our hearts grow fonder.

I've often said that the most valuable course I ever took in high school was typing but what in the world will happen in the next twenty years to the love letter with Indiana teachers no longer required to  teach cursive hand writing?

Gosh, you can't put perfume on a text message or email message. What a shame.

A year ago I made a resolution to write a letter each week. At first, I tried a ball point pen, but didn't like the feel of it. Then I bought a fountain pen, but the nib left a line too fat for my liking. I finally bought a scratch or dip pen like we used in school.

Although I haven't kept my resolution, I do love to scratch out a letter now and then. Now, do you think someone who is home bound or in a nursing home would rather receive an email message or would he rather receive an envelope that he can open, remove a folded piece of paper, and read a hand written letter?

There is something about a hand written letter that allows a person to put more feeling into the communication then with type written letters.

Oh well, time marches on, I guess. But thanks to my State Senator, Ed Charbonneau who is responsible for taking bargaining rights away from our Indiana teachers when it comes to anything other than wages and wage related benefits, teachers won't be able to make any improvements in our children's education, not contractually anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steelworkers Organization of Active Retirees (SOAR)

Trump To Cut Social Security

Trump’s Promise Not to Cut Social Security has been Broken by Robert Roach, Jr. President Trump’s fiscal 2018 budget is a non-starter. He has betrayed America’s seniors. In fact, $2 trillion in deficit reduction turns out to be just a math error. The budget cuts $72 billion over ten years from disability programs, including Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Trump promised repeatedly to protect – not cut – Social Security. Yet his first budget does just that, harming millions of disabled Americans.  The Trump budget also slashes $1.4 trillion from Medicaid over 10 years. According to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), total Medicaid spending was $368 billion in 2016. Almost two-thirds of that was for seniors and people with disabilities, who rely on Medicaid for health care and long-term care. This cut is drastic and dangerous by any measurement. This budget also decimates the Community Development Block Grant, which pro…

The Ship of Fear

My Destroyer, the U.S.S. Walker, was tied up in Pearl Harbor.

The Newspaper headlines for several days along with lengthy articles told of a merchant ship, "the Pomona" that was tied up in Honolulu waiting for crew to take it to the far east. The Captain had been murdered while at sea and the crew was afraid that the murderer was still aboard. The ship finally got underway again and my memory is that it had rudder problems and had to return to port. Then, after getting underway again it had a fire on board and had to return again.

While on liberty one day in Honolulu, I stopped in at a saloon on my way back to my ship. There, I met a merchant sailor who happened to be a sailor aboard the Pomona. He offered to take me back to the ship and let me come aboard her. We did and headed for the bow of the ship where there was a lot of noise. There sitting on the deck were a number of sailors, mostly drunken, talking about their predicament.

This occurred sometime between 1961 and…