Thursday, June 08, 2017

From the Director (Retired)

Passing the Torch

By the time you receive this newsletter I will be officially retired and an active dues paying member of this wonderful organization. An organization that I have had the opportunity to help shepherd for over the last 16 years. I leave knowing the elected leadership is committed to growing a politically active retiree organization dedicated to protecting and enhancing the quality of life of retirees and workers in both of our countries. 


I have had the pleasure of knowing and working with Julie Stein, who USW International President Leo W. Gerard has appointed to assume my duties upon my retirement. Julie brings a wealth of experience into her new job. She has been an instrumental part of our union Political Department for the last five years. Prior to moving to Pittsburgh, Julie spent a great deal of her time in Wisconsin working election cycles, where she knocked on hundreds of doors and participated in phone banks to educate our members on the issues that affect working families and retirees as well as encouraging support of labor-friendly candidates. In addition, Julie has great communication skills and brings a disciplined approach to the administrative side of the job.


I’m not going to walk away from the work and activism that this organization does so well. I am going to take a little time off, recharge my batteries and then get reengaged in the fight as a SOAR volunteer and activist. But, I can walk away from the day-to-day administrative duties of this job knowing that the Steelworkers Organization of Active Retirees is in good hands and prepared to face the challenges the future brings head on!  Congratulations Julie, I wish you great success in your new job!

 Jim Centner, SOAR Director



No comments:

Splice the Main Brace

Splice The Main Brace A sailing ship's main brace is a rope attached to its main spar. Splicing it (making a connection in it by interw...