Wednesday, January 04, 2006

That Day is Mine, a poem


That Day Is Mine
by Charlie Averill

Life has been so good to me I surely must confess;
when skies are gray and some folks say "it really is a mess".
Because I have so much to do which keeps me occupied;
like gardening and making wine and other things I've tried.

Making soap I've often done with bacon fat and lard.
Although it's kinda fun I guess it's also kinda hard.
Making home made root beer with the kids is such a blast,
but when it's put in beer bottles, never will it last.

Dressing up like Santa Claus is something all should do,
cause with a little effort it brings joy to all the crew.
Growing gourds and broom corn, luffa sponge and berries,
turnips, beets, salsify, kiwi and ground cherries

gets me thru the summers with not much time to spare,
then along comes autumn with squash and all to share.
Fall means getting ready for winters icy blast,
by greasing up the snowblower, stacking wood to last.

Now all this seems to many a folk as nothing more than chores,
but that is life to me at least, I'm anything but bored.
Oh yes, one more I must confess to you lest I be cheating
is lacking from the list above, there's one thing more it's needing.

Now I can flex from time to time from football games to reading,
but reserve the last Friday of the month for that's my union meeting!
© 1992 Charlie Averill

No comments:

Splice the Main Brace

Splice The Main Brace A sailing ship's main brace is a rope attached to its main spar. Splicing it (making a connection in it by interw...